Sunday, January 11, 2009

Adventures in Cake Decorating: Part 1


After five years of talking about it, my sister and I finally signed up for a cake decorating class at Michael's. Now, those of you who know me that I often jump into things head first whether I know what I'm doing or not. After learning how to ice a cake and make buttercream in the first class, sis and I decided that it certainly wouldn't be too much to create a fabulous fondant Tiffany Box cake for a co-worker's birthday. We spent all day slaving away in the kitchen to make a fabulous chocolate cake from scratch and then died inside when it fell apart coming out of the pan. After a quick trip to Kroger, our friend Betty Crocker helped us bake a super yummy devil's food cake. We filled it with cherry preserves and then covered it with chocolate buttercream to make the fondant stick.

I'm so darn proud of it. I can't help but go into the kitchen every few minutes to check it out and see if it really is as cute as I remember from the last time I checked. And yes, it is.

No comments: